1. I should get the set designer for Grouplove to come over to my apartment. Nice use of painted globes, vines (wrapped around microphone stands), and my personal favorite was the plethora of lamps scattered around the stage—although the lamps could’ve been used more creatively and often throughout the show.
2. Not sure if it’s intentional, but Grouplove lead singer Christian Zucconi is looking a lot like Kurt Cobain these days. On Thursday, his shoulder-length blonde locks, bathrobe, jeans, and pastel green electric guitar made him look like he was impersonating the Nirvana frontman.
3. Grouplove, with its feel good vibe and general lovey-dovey attitude, seemed like the perfect act for an open pool. Some fans packed close to the stage on dry land, but many happily splashed their way through the show. I just wish the pool had been open for more summer shows, you know, when it was hot. It might be worth showing up early to snag the couches that are set up in the shallow part of the pool right in front of the stage—prime real estate. Singer and keyboardist Hannah Hooper told the crowd: “Don’t be scared of the water. It’s warm. We were in it earlier.”
4. Nice use of the group scream. Zucconi led the crowd in a guttural, healthy, cathartic collective wail that segued the band into “Close Your Eyes and Count to Ten.” The world could use more socialized screaming, it’s good for the soul.
5. Grouplove knows how to crush an ending. The encore included hits “Tongue Tied” and “Colours,” as well as a cover of Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody.” Then, they topped it off with a nice group bow at the end. Very theatrical. More bands should do the arm-in-arm bow.
BONUS NOTE: The Las Vegas Weekly ad in regular rotation on the world’s largest LED sign (visible from the Cosmopolitan pool) looked sweet.