There’s one party in Las Vegas that gladly steps over the line and into the sexually taboo every October: It’s the Fetish & Fantasy Ball at the Hard Rock Hotel. An invitation to attend was offered to me this year and I jumped at the opportunity.
As an F&F virgin, I had no idea what to expect. But I knew that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. After my closet had thrown up all over my room, I had successfully transformed into a 1970s porn star. No cliché detail was spared; I had the ’fro, the ’stache and short shorts that would make Paris Hilton blush.
And the party delivered, too. Two ballrooms had been devoted to the sexy soiree, and I explored, tweeting everything that caught my eye (shameless plug: follow me @MARKinlasvegas). I made it out before I had the chance to be chained and whipped, but Fetish & Fantasy certainly made a lasting impression. Here are five reasons not to miss this party in 2011.
1. Ever see Marilyn Manson chain Snow White up and take a few whips to her? Yeah, me neither. The bondage stage is basically an adult playground for those into leather, subordination and using the word “daddy” with non-genetic relatives.
2. You can ride the banana. Get your mind out of the gutter! Who wants to ride a mechanical bull when you can ride a giant, moving banana instead? Hilarity ensues when there’s a massive, mechanical piece of fruit involved.
3. Two words: eye candy. Yes, this is Vegas and it’s everywhere, but in an environment where Borat’s neon green man-kini is the norm, there’s a lot more to sear your retinas. Body paint was all the rage this year; many chose to take this route, donning only what was required by the ball’s barely-there dress code. Remember this tip for next year: pasties, liquid latex and artificial genitalia are not allowed.
4. Here’s a rarity among Las Vegas dance music venues: room to dance. The Joint is massive, and there’s even a ballroom solely devoted to a dance floor. Impromptu bars are conveniently setup just feet away.
5. You’ll have 5,000 ideas for your next Halloween costume. I wracked my brain for weeks this October and still put my get-up together in under 20 minutes. Costumes are all about creativity and character—two things you’ll most certainly find at F&F, along with a side of sex, of course.