5 reasons to see Metz at Beauty Bar this weekend
Wed, Nov 7, 2012 (4:28 p.m.)
- METZ with Douglas and the Furs, Caravels
- November 10, 9 p.m., $5. Beauty Bar, 598-1965
1. The Toronto trio’s Sub Pop Records’ webpage name-checks noise-rock royals Shellac, The Jesus Lizard and Nation of Ulysses.
2. Consequence of Sound has described a live Metz set as “the sort of experience that evokes old-school punk shows: the mayhem, the sweat-drenched mosh pits and the sense that things could pop off like a powder keg at any moment.”
3. Metz doesn’t have a Wikipedia page, so you can brag that you knew about the band before your friends. Oh wait, Pitchfork gave October’s eponymous album Best New Music? Too late.
4. Singer/guitarist Alex Edkins sounds humble despite the hype, telling Minneapolis’ City Pages, “I do find it amazing that three guys who make pretty strange music and are pretty uncompromising with our approach to making music got this. … The fact that Sub Pop liked it and wanted to put it out, and now other people seem to be reacting positively to it is just icing on the cake.”
5. One of the absolute best bands in Las Vegas, Caravels, is also on the bill. Mark our words, somewhere soon, another town’s alt-weekly will publish its Five reasons to catch Caravels. Or really should.