Public Safety Reporter
Call Brian at 702-948-7835.
Recent Stories (view all stories)
- The girl next door? No, maybe PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door
- Saturday, May 4, 2013
- Rachelle Ryerson made the switch to a vegan lifestyle two years ago. Now Ryerson, a Las Vegas model, says she’s in the best shape of her life, and the public seems to have noticed.
- Author strips down city to find 'Everyday Las Vegas'
- Saturday, April 27, 2013
- Urban geography professor Rex Rowley knows what it’s like to live in Las Vegas. He was a local. It wasn’t until he attended the University of Kansas that Rowley realized just how unusual it was that residents in a city identify themselves as a "local."
- Wahoo's Fish Taco expanding with two Henderson restaurants
- Saturday, April 6, 2013
- Paul Kraft fell in love with Wahoo’s Fish Taco 11 years ago in Costa Mesa, Calif. Last year, he decided to combine his love with his work. He obtained franchise rights from the chain and brought Wahoo’s Fish Taco to Las Vegas.
- In North Las Vegas, a crown jewel finds itself in need of a white knight
- Maintenance, operating costs may plague city's new Craig Ranch Park
- Tuesday, March 12, 2013
- Although the opening of North Las Vegas’ Craig Ranch Park is just months away, the cash-strapped city is still figuring out how it’s going to pay to maintain the $126 million park.
- Hundreds of thousands ring in 2013 in Las Vegas
- Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013
- With fireworks, fanfare and frivolity, Las Vegas once again showed the world Monday night how to put on a New Year's Eve party as 300,000-plus New Year's Eve revelers on the Las Vegas Strip and Fremont Street braved sub-freezing temperatures to toast the first few ticks of 2013.
- Blog: Celebrating New Year's Eve, Vegas style
- Monday, Dec. 31, 2012
- Despite a nip in the air as temperatures drop into the 30s, Las Vegas is giving its traditional warm New Year's Eve welcome to hundreds of thousands of visitors tonight throughout the Strip and in the downtown's Fremont Street. As the expected gathering of some 314,000 revelers celebrate, Sun reporters and photographers will be capturing the sights and sounds of celebration.
- Illusion builder stands behind Las Vegas' top magic acts
- Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012
- Bill Smith works in a building surrounded by secrets only he can understand. They’re on his cluttered desk, pieces of graph paper with schematics of boxes and torturous-looking contraptions bursting out of a rack of manila folders. Some are recorded on VHS tapes stacked 10-high on his television to be copied to DVD, for his eyes and his customers’ eyes only.
- Henderson's Dinosaur Man enjoys sharing his personal 'Jurassic Park'
- Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012
- They call him the Dinosaur Man. He lives at 733 Greenway Road in Henderson at a place he calls “Shang-Gri-La-Prehistoric Park,” but the kids who know it, he says, have taken to calling it the Dinosaur House. His front yard is like a scene out of "Jurassic Park." There is a velociraptor, two triceratops and a blue brontosaurus. Baby dinosaurs hatch from eggs on the ground next to dinosaur bones. Everything is dwarfed, however, by the most popular dinosaur of all — front and center is a Tyrannosaurus rex almost the size of his one-story home.
- No longer chicken, Las Vegas barbecuers to compete at Jack Daniels world championship
- Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012
- For years, Steven Overlay and his competitive barbecue team, the Sin City Smokers, struggled with the chicken. Overlay and his team, which includes his wife and her parents, compete in barbecue contests across the country. Overlay does the cooking. His ribs and pork shoulder always earn high marks; striking a balance of flavors from the apple-wood-chip-smoke, spicy dry rub, sweet sauce and velvety meat. His brisket is solid, with its salt-and-pepper garlic rub and hickory-cherry wood smoke flavors. But when it came to chicken, Overlay couldn’t find that balanced “backyard flavor.”
- No explosions, but 'Mythbusters' live show promises to get messy
- Sunday, Aug. 5, 2012
- Forget imagining the audience in their underwear; "MythBusters" star Jamie Hyneman overcame stage fright through explosives and danger.
Recent Blog Posts (view all entries)
- Photos: Free Ben & Jerry's ice cream served by L.V. celebs warms the soul
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013
- For one hour, BMX professional Ricardo Laguna and a cast of Revolver dancers scooped ice cream cones in virtual anonymity on Tuesday at ...