1. Arrive early. There are benefits to punctuality beyond avoiding long entry lines. This year’s midlevel/emerging main-stage lineup looks better than ever, with quality bands like Devil’s Brigade, Masked Intruder, Cerebral Ballzy and Good Riddance all scheduled before 6 p.m.
2. Support the locals. Some of Las Vegas’ best punks will represent throughout the weekend, including Illicitor (Friday, 10:45 p.m., Beauty Bar), The Gashers (Saturday, 3:30 p.m., outdoor stage), The Objex, (Sunday, 3:30 p.m., outdoor stage), The Lucky Cheats (Sunday, 11 p.m., Fremont Country Club) and The People’s Whiskey (Sunday, 11 p.m., Beauty Bar).
3. There’s more than music. Poker tournaments, film screenings, live comedy and even punk-rock pool parties round out PRB’s festivities. Most of that stuff’s entirely free, and it’s a way to see bands like The Queers and one-off supergroup The Pool Boys (both playing poolside at the Plaza) without a festival ticket.
4. Don’t delay. Long lines flank the bars of Fremont east as the outdoor festival flows toward the late-night club shows. Avoid the herd by grabbing grub and drinks before the closing main-stage set, then beeline for prime placement at the aftershows.
5. Embrace punk culture. PRB weekend comes but once a year, so this is the time to pull out the extra studs, spike your hawk a little higher and wear clothes that would shame your mother—or your kids.
Punk Rock Bowling May 23-26, sold out. Streets & clubs of Downtown, punkrockbowling.com.