Welcome news for Psycho Las Vegas fans: The heavy-rock fest’s change of venues doesn’t appear to have altered its musical direction.
The festival revealed the first wave of acts for its 2019 edition—scheduled for August 16-18 at Mandalay Bay (after three years at the Hard Rock Hotel)—and the seven names are sure to excite Psycho regulars. They are
* English psych-metal band Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, which also played the fest in 2016 and released new album Wasteland last month.
* Bay Area stoner-metal mainstay High on Fire, unofficially cemented as Psycho’s house band after having performed at two of the three previous Psycho Las Vegas editions. Latest album Electric Messiah has drawn praise from the likes of the A.V. Club and Pitchfork.
* New York post-hardcore group Glassjaw, which released its first album in 15 years, Material Control, last December.
* Finnish black-metal cult favorite Oranssi Pazuzu, which has played just two U.S. shows ever, last year in Brooklyn and Baltimore.
* Oregon doom metal trio YOB, which played Psycho 2016 (along with a Psycho pre-show in 2017) and has drawn strong reviews for June album Our Raw Heart.
* German stoner-rock trio Kadavar.
* French synthwave specialist Perturbator.
Tickets for Psycho Las Vegas 2019—which will take place inside the Mandalay Bay Events Center, the House of Blues, the Mandalay Bay Beach and the Rhythm & Riffs lounge—go on sale today at 10 a.m. through axs.com. Prices run from $249 for general admission weekend passes to $499 for VIP wristbands.
Past Psycho Las Vegas participants have included Alice Cooper, Electric Wizard, Baroness and Converge in 2016; Mastodon, Neurosis, Swans and King Diamond in 2017; Danzig, Dimmu Borgir, The Hellacopters and Sunn O))) this year; and Sleep in 2016 and 2017.