It’s time to open the windows and embrace the season. There’s more to spring than cleaning out a winter’s worth of clutter. It’s all about bringing the outdoors indoors and doing some redecorating in the process.
Interior design picks up where Mother Nature leaves off. Textiles, furnishings and accessories pull inspiration and take color cues directly from what lies outside the front door. Patterns highlight flowers, birds and plants, and colors burst in various shades of blue, green, yellow, pink and purple.
With everyone on a tighter budget these days, seasonal redecorating doesn’t have to mean spending a lot of money. Try rearranging your furniture for a new look. Cover your couch with a white slipcover and pile up accent pillows in bright, floral patterns. Stop by your local nursery and pick up indoor plants, or visit a thrift store and buy a used coffee or side table to repaint with the season’s hottest hues. Save money by keeping larger pieces of furniture and adding a handful of new accessories to give your space a fresh appeal. With these items, spring will have sprung right in your living room.
1. Gauguin cool striped melon lantern Cost Plus World Market, $25, worldmarket.com.
2. Lighted orchid branches Bed Bath & Beyond, $20, bedbathandbeyond.com.
3. Jeweled vine mirror Kirkland’s, $60, kirklands.com.
4. White and silver tray Pier 1, $30, pier1.com.
5. Purple ruffles pillow Pier 1, $38, pier1.com.
6. Aquamarine Alberino lantern Z Gallerie, $10, zgallerie.com.
7. Palampore dhurrie rug Cost Plus World Market, $60, worldmarket.com.
8. Lucky bamboo plant Star Nursery, $40, multiple locations, starnursery.com.