1. It’s about time: San Francisco-born Bearracuda, a party catering to the gay male subculture known as bears, has been staged in 45 different cities and 10 countries. Bunkhouse booker Mike Henry says that bringing it to Vegas was a no-brainer, as it did gangbusters business at the bar he used to manage in Austin. “Overall, incredibly fun party.” With racy bear videos, apparently!
2. Stand-and-model types need not apply: While anyone is welcome, the general ethos of the bear community—masculinity rules, larger fellas are welcome and hirsute is hot—should scare off those who only cruise for stereotypically perfect men.
3. A new party spot for gays: The Bunkhouse has never hosted an LGBT night, but its alternative programming, beer program and ample space make it a potentially good fit.
4. Speaking of beer: A $2 Hamm’s special (chiefly because of its bear mascot) will be on offer, exclusive to the party. Also: $5 Pinnacle vodka drinks.
5. A different soundtrack: Bearracuda’s Vegas debut will feature LA DJ Ryan Jones, who seems to favor indie, disco and house over the usual pop and EDM played in gay dance clubs. “Ryan plays for us all over the country, and the guys are definitely in for a treat,” producer Matt Bearracuda tells us by email. They’re definitely in for something different, which our little gay scene surely needs.
Bearracuda May 9, 9 p.m., $7. Bunkhouse, 702-854-1414.