1. Four of the six members played percussion at the same time. Good stuff, but it would have been better if they were all in tech blacks and painted blue. Get in the Vegas spirit, people!
2. Perhaps it was too early in the day, perhaps it was the new grassy area right near the Huntridge stage (I’m not sure we can call it a park, but it’s something). Whatever it was, it took most of their set for the audience to get into it.
3. “So I was like, ‘We should sound like Passion Pit!’ and she was like, ‘We should sound like Rusted Root!’ And then we looked at each other at the same time and immediately knew what the band had to be!” —from my upcoming Youngblood Hawke origin story comic book.
4. “We Come Running” is one of the catchier singles this year. Unfortunately the full choral sound that the LA-based group was able to capture on record was not duplicated in the live performance. Ironic, since the lyrics explicitly states, “Soon they’re gonna hear/The sound, the sound, the sound/When we come running.”
5. Points to the people who live in the apartments on the north side of The Ogden. They got to hear the bands on the Huntridge Stage all day. Not so much for the southsiders.