1. State Route 159 to Red Rock Canyon Whether you start on the Blue Diamond side or the Summerlin side, the views are spectacular—and punctuated by occasional burros. (Don’t feed them; it’s illegal.)
2. Kyle Canyon Road to Mount Charleston Palm Springs isn’t the only desert town offering a “palms-to-pines” experience. Bonus: It’s always a few degrees cooler up there.
3. Great Basin Highway (U.S. 93) to Boulder City Next year, Interstate 11 will render this utterly charming route to the Arizona border unnecessary. Make a habit of enjoying it now.
4. I-15/Goodsprings Road to Goodsprings Pretend that you’re leaving town—then veer off into the desert to this venerable mining town and its 100-year-old Pioneer Saloon.
5. Las Vegas Boulevard An end-to-end drive of this scenic byway is practically a history lesson, from Nellis AFB to the Strip to Seven Magic Mountains.