1. Britney Spears confirms her Planet Hollywood residency. It’s two years, it’s called Piece of Me and it kicks off December 27. Brit Brit is definitely a “Work Bitch.” Just beware as she marks her territory with her “Perfume.”
2. Cirque du Soleil’s up and down year. The Montreal-headquartered juggernaut dealt with a tragic death in KÁ at MGM Grand the same weekend its fabulous Michael Jackson One celebrated its grand opening at Mandalay Bay.
3. Mega-club Hakkasan opens, as does Light. Hakkasan at MGM Grand is a five-level behemoth restaurant and nightclub with the world’s best(-paid) DJs as residents. Light opened soon after at Mandalay Bay with an incredible LED backdrop and an able assist from Cirque.
4. Miss America sashays back to Atlantic City after nearly a decade at Planet Hollywood. And the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo might exit the chute after a nearly 30-year relationship here. At least we still have Miss USA. Maybe.
5. Kerry, Giada and Guy. Giada De Laurentiis announces her first-ever restaurant—and it will be on the Strip—and UNLV alumnus‚ Guy Fieri is opening here, too. Iron Chef winner Kerry Simon’s revelation that he is battling a rare form of Parkinson’s is a reminder to appreciate each day of life.