1. Barrick Museum of Art Presenting every-thing from Mesoamerican to contemporary art, this UNLV institution has dazzled and educated us for 50 years. 4505 S. Maryland Parkway, 702-895-3381.
2. Clark County Museum Henderson’s home to more than 100 years of Southern Nevada history, in the form of restored vintage houses, barns and train depots. 1830 S. Boulder Highway, 702-455-7955.
3. The Mob Museum Discover the unvarnished history of the criminal figures who helped build this town—and the stories of the law-enforcement officials who kept them in check. 300 Stewart Ave. 702-229-2734.
4. Neon Museum Not for nothing is this collection of Vegas’ neon signs—metal and glass giants, arranged into a twisting canyon—a must-see for locals and visitors. 770 Las Vegas Blvd. N., 702-387-6366.
5. National Atomic Testing Museum This Smithsonian affiliate documents Nevada’s history of atomic testing in fascinating and, yes, terrifying detail. 755 E. Flamingo Road, 702-794-5151.