- Naked City Pizza Shop
- 3240 Arville St., 243-6277.
- Daily, 11 a.m.-3 a.m.
1. Don’t call them Buffalo wings. “If you go to Buffalo and order Buffalo wings, they’re going to laugh at you. Just call ’em wings.”
2. Keep it simple with sauce. “Everybody thinks it’s more complicated than it is. People screw things up when they try to make them fancy. It’s just a ratio of Frank’s RedHot to butter. For mild, use 2 to 1 butter to Frank’s. For hot, just a little butter to get that viscosity, and then we throw some cayenne in with the hot sauce.”
3. Go big. “Most places serve those tiny little wings. The biggest, most important thing is size, so you have enough meat, but always do them separated. You’ll never see those big connected wings in Buffalo.”
4. Double fry ’em. “Fry them in 350-degree oil for six or seven minutes, let them rest, then do a second drop for just a couple minutes. The first fry cooks them completely, but you have to get them crispy. The worst thing in the world is mushy chicken wings slathered in sauce.”
5. Ordering out? Hurry up. “Any time there’s a big sporting event like March Madness, we do a ton of takeout, and people go right to the basics. A full sheet pepperoni pizza and 50 medium wings is the most popular order, and the guinea pie, because it was on TV.”