1. Super Mario Odyssey Mario’s triumphant return nails everything it attempts: fantastic controls, wonderfully stylized art and music and innovative level design. The best game of 2017—and just maybe the BEST. VIDEO. GAME. EVER.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild The pure joy and boundless freedom we felt exploring the land of Hyrule set a new benchmark for what to expect from open world adventure games.
3. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Capcom resurrects a dying franchise with an oppressively creepy first person survival nightmare, featuring stunning VR support to further push your psyche to the breaking point.
4. Prey Arkane Studios successfully bends its sci-fi narrative around a maze of convoluted themes, deceiving the player in layer upon layer of immersive storytelling.
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn Gorgeous visuals, heart-stopping action and a surprisingly complex and emotional plot prove that giving developers time and creative freedom can yield breathtaking results.