Sure, Google is your friend, but don’t deny yourself the rabbit-hole descent that is the Vegas Reddit page (/r/Vegas). There, you’ll scan the digital bulletin board-as-social network and discover not only the lurid, only-in-Vegas stories, but interesting and/or useful info—even in posts on exhausted topics (i.e. inquiries from incoming tourists and new residents). Here’s a sampling of gold mined during a recent click-a-thon:
• Like free beer? Arts District brewery Hop Nuts is celebrating its first anniversary this week by offering visiting Redditors who say “Hoppy Birthday” one pint of a local brew on the house. You won’t find that deal on Facebook or Twitter.
• Anyone else always looking for a new picnic spot? One user recommends Oxford Park in Summerlin, which boasts a great Valley view.
• In the same item, another Redditor raves about something called Archery Tag, which takes place at Impact Archery indoor shooting range. One team against another, dodging both obstacles and foam-tipped arrows—take my money. (Oh, and it’s on Groupon!)
• Get questions from non-local friends about bachelor parties? Instead of directing your buddy and his group to a Strip hotel where they’ll pay through the nose for multiple rooms (likely to be located on multiple floors), have them look off-Strip for mansion rentals on Airbnb.
• A post from a prospective visitor revealed an awesome Sunday brunch option available April through November from Lake Mead Cruises. It’s reasonable ($20-$45) and includes Champagne for adults. My first upvote!
• Speaking of experiences to plan for the near future: A camel safari farm is due to relocate from Washington and open in Mesquite. Who wouldn’t want to take in the gorgeous Virgin Mountains riding a camel named Spud?